The Sir William Dawson Paleo Pioneer Tour- 4 hrs
During this 3+ hour tour with an experienced fossil expert as your guide, walk along the ocean floor and turn the clock back 315 million years to unveil an ancient tropical ecosystem that flourished with primitive life. This cliffside along Nova Scotia’s Bay of Fundy coast is so rich in fossils that it has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage nature site. Joggins Fossil Cliffs is home to some of the oldest reptile fossils in the world and the powerful Bay of Fundy tides commonly reveals new fossils along this coastline. Perhaps the next new fossil discovery will be made by you!
What's included in your tour:
- A 3+ hour guided fossil tour at Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Info on the geology of Nova Scotia with a focus on the Bay of Fundy.
- See the locations of the oldest fossil reptiles as well as many other unique finds.
- Learn how to spot and identify fossils and what to do if you find one.
- Learn what palaeontologists look for when they're studying fossils and what tools and techniques they use.
- Information on recent fossil discoveries and other Nova Scotia fossil locations.
About Sir William Dawson:
The eminent Canadian geologist Sir William Dawson (1820-1899) was chief among the early geologists to recognize the significance of the Joggins fossil cliffs. It was his fossil discoveries and publications that first gave Joggins world-wide attention.
Private tours are available upon request. Please contact us for details at email@example.com.
Due to Covid-19 we are focused on your health and safety and are taking every measure to ensure your safety while participating in our tours.
- Contactless ticket purchasing.
- Outdoor setting with physical distancing.
- Hand sanitizer on site.
- Small group and private tours available.
We ask that you give us at least 48 hours notice of cancellation before the scheduled tour. If notice of cancellation is received prior to 48 hours of the scheduled tour a full refund will be issued. No refunds will be issued within 48 hours of the scheduled tour.
Fundy Treasures fossil and mineral tours take place rain or shine with the exception of severe weather. In the event of severe weather (high winds, heavy rain, lightening) on the date the tour will be cancelled. If we have to cancel due to weather, a full refund will be issued.
What to bring:
Weather along the Bay of Fundy can be unpredictable and it’s good to be prepared for anything! Here are a few recommendations:
- Sturdy shoes or hiking boots.
- Layers appropriate for wind, rain and warmth.
- Sunscreen, a sun hat and sunglasses.
- A camera or phone to capture photos of the scenic Bay of Fundy, fossils and minerals!
- A water bottle and a snack are recommended.
- A backpack is great to keep all of your necessities together!
If you have any other questions or concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org